GDCVault’s Free Art Sessions
Slide from “Borderlands and the 11th Hour Art Style Change”General
- The Art of Diablo 3 by Christian Lichtner (Blizzard)
- Guild Wars: The Artists’ Vision by Daniel Dociu (NCsoft West)
- The Art Direction of Saints Row: The Third by Frank Marquart (Volition)
- From Pipe Dream to Open World: The Terraforming of FAR CRY 2 by Alexandre Amancio (Ubisoft Montreal)
- Slides only: Borderlands and the 11th Hour Art Style Change. Or: Kids, Don’t Try this at Home! by Randy Pitchford (Gearbox), Brian Martel (Gearbox)
- Slides only: Uncharted 2 Art Direction by Robh Ruppel, Erick Pangilinan (Naughty Dog)
- Slides only: Uncharted 2 Character Pipeline: An In-depth Look at the Creation of U2’s Characters by Judd Simantov (Naughty Dog) and Richard Diamant (Naughty Dog)
- Slides only: The Art of Dear Esther – Building an Environment to tell a Story by Robert Briscoe (LittleLostPoly)
- Slides and notes: What Happened Here? Environmental Storytelling by Harvey Smith (Arkane Studios), Matthias Worch (Visceral Games)
- Slides only: Building Blocks: Artist Driven Procedural Buildings by James Golding (Epic)
- As a rather odd addition, the cancelled 2012 environment session “Modular Environment Design” slides are available on the speaker Kevin Johnstone’s site. Go to “Help” and they’re downloadable at the bottom of the page.
- Slides only: Defining the Tech Art Role and Building Their Team by Arthur Shek (Microsoft Studios/Turn 10)
- Slides only: Modular Rigging in Battlefield 3 by Johan Ramstrom (EA DICE)
- Slides only: The Tricks Up Our Sleeves: A Walkthrough of the Latest Techniques Behind FX of Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception by Keith Guerrette (Naughty Dog)
- Slides only: Creating the Flood Effects in Uncharted 3 by Eben Cook (Naughty Dog)
- Notes only: Visual Effects Artist Roundtable led by Drew Skillman (Double Fine)
- Slides only: Rock Show VFX – The Effects That Bring Brutal Legend to Life by Peter Demoreuille (Double Fine), Drew Skillman (Double Fine)
- Slides only: Bringing Home the Bacon: Developing the VFX of Spec Ops: On the Line as Thin Slices by Florian Zender (Yager Development)
Main Content HubGDC lumps all visual (and technical) arts (and level design? I’ll get to that in a different post.) together into one track, and records them considerably less frequently than most tracks. Which leaves for some relatively slim (but tasty) pickings, so I’ve done my best to just sort them all out into nice little lists here instead of making a whole bunch of tiny posts. That said, there are some real gems buried in the sessionse.
Since there’s not as much content for the art track (or at least, it’s a little more scattered), there are a lot of slides linked to here in addition to video. There’s also a fair bit of direct-download content I haven’t linked to. If you want to check those out of just browse, you can go to the full list of free content.